Wednesday, May 25

An Agonist for Anger, a Medicine for Melancholy

Sorry, Ray.

This rant's about coffee. I'm an addict.

I've been staying up past my bedtime a bit too much lately, and as a consequence I'm depending more and more these past few weeks on Artificial Perkiness to keep my interest in my job up and a viciously brutal headache at bay. Boiling hot joy indeed. I actually can detect the difference in my mood that starts 15 minutes after I dose myself up: I get speedier, I feel sharper, I feel smarter. And, depending on the day, I either get happy or angry. I haven't figured out what triggers one over the other, though. Just, some days I get smiley and jokey and productive, and other days I get snarly and mean. Which apparently can be funny too, but I woudn't know: I'm too busy hoping everyone and everything around me dies a screaming, painful death. Not least this fucking job, which you can take and shove and I hate you all and the little dogs you rode in on.

Guess which one's got me today.

I don't even really like the taste of coffee all that much. I'd never drink decaf. But somehow, over the course of the past few years, I've gotten to the point where I can't not have it and stay functioning.

At least I don't smoke.

1 comment:

Pharaohmagnetic said...

I prefer Tea.

It has all the caffeine of coffee plus a whole whack of other mysterious stimulants, not to mention health benefits such as folic acid, vitamin B2, flavonoids, and antioxidants.

And it tastes like ambrosia of the gods, too.

I think I'm addicted.