Monday, April 11

Gottman, Gladwell, Hofstadter, and new leaves

Over the past week, I've started reading 3 books. Two of them I got for my birthday (Thanks, Mom and Dad!) and the other, my wife got out of the library.

They are:


Now, at a glance those books don't seem to have a lot to do with one another. Hofstadter's book is a Pulitzer-prize-winning, discursive romp though the metadisciplines of Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science. Gladwell's pamphletbook is an examination of the degree to which humans make decisions unconsciously. Gottman's book is a manual for improving your social relationships. Of course, since I've just juxtaposted them for you, chances are you're probably thinking they aren't totally dissimilar -- but I'm finding more similarities than differences.

Hofstadter: "Think about how thinking happens!"
Gladwell: "Think about how much you don't think!"
Gottman: "Think more about things you don't think about!"

I haven't gotten far enough into any of the books to determine whether the central memes are any more tightly linked than I've just pointed out, but I'll keep you all posted.

No comments: